Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Greatest Thing in the World

Well, SMU lost in the C-USA basketball tournament today. Not unexpected. Am I supposed to be disappointed? Nobody thought they were going to win. There is quite a bit of rigmarole going on the message board over this and that. Tubbs deserves a chance; Tubbs sucks. It is the facilities. Yada. Yada. Yada.

You know what? I don’t care. I didn’t want Tubbs to get the job; I didn’t think he could deliver what we promised-a pipeline into DISD. I try to be a very rational person about this. I know the rational thing to do is give Tubbs more time, at least one more year. But I just don’t care. I always thought Bennett would turn football around and we are a year away from proving whether I am right about that or not. I have never thought Tubbs would turn basketball around. I haven’t seen anything to change my mind.

The fact of the matter is that Tubbs was not the no. 1 assistant at Oklahoma; why on earth did we hire a guy that was not even the assistant that would pick up the clipboard when the head coach got tossed from a game?

To be clear, it isn’t because Tubbs is black. There are lots of great coaches that are black. I was ecstatic when Avery Johnson replaced Don Nelson for much the same reasons-I never thought Don Nelson was going to get it done. I do think Avery Johnson can and will. Hell, if I were Cuban, I would give Avery Johnson a 10 year deal.

The greatest thing in the world to me is if SMU announces a new AD on Monday afternoon. With one defiant sentence, the new AD says clearly and unequivocally, "The losing stops now." And following that, he says he will sit down with Tubbs the following morning and Tubbs is let go by Tuesday afternoon. With that statement and with that act, everyone who even passively follows SMU sports, would know he was serious and that SMU was serious.

**sigh**

I. Am. Dreaming.

Anyway, end of basketball talk. Go ahead and tell me I don't know what I am talking about. That is fine. Maybe I don't.

No comments: