Friday, April 21, 2006

Doherty Offered



Sources say Doherty Offered SMU Job.

Well, how about that. So, Doherty went back to Florida with an offer in his hand. No doubt he is showing it to FAU officials as we speak to see what he can get from them. Good.

We'll talk about Doherty more later. I want to focus on one thing and one thing only for a moment. It is what I think is the most important thing to take away from this hire (assuming it happens). This is not a typical SMU hire. This is bold. This is flashy. This is going to ruffle feathers. There is an element of risk involved. This is exactly what SMU should be doing.

I could list a dozen assistants that might work out. I can list a dozen lower conference coaches that might succeed. I can list a half-dozen retread coaches that had inauspicious careers that might succeed. The fact is you never know. They might work out; they might fail miserably. And we don't know with Doherty either. But I can't wait to find out with Doherty.

This ain't no Copeland hire; this ain't no Turner hire; this for darn sure ain't no Ken Pye hire. This is what an Orsini hire looks like.

And that folks, is a GREAT thing.

No comments: