Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Time to get up for Tulsa

Look, I understand losing to Houston stunk. I go back to what I said after the ECU game. "C'mon people! Did you think this was going to be easy?"

As long as SMU has control of its own destiny, everybody needs to remain focused on the task at hand: winning these next two games. And make no mistake, SMU needs to win these two games to go to a bowl. There will be in article in tomorrow or Thursday's DMN saying as much. NCAA rules specify that all teams with seven or more victories must fill out conference's contracted bowl agreements prior to placing any six win teams in bowls.

"We're still going to get to a bowl, I have no doubt about that," said Willis, and Bennett said "there's still a lot to play for."


It isn't my job to psyche everybody up. It is my job to, well, I don't know what my job is here. I do know one thing: I am content to let this season play itself out.

Looking ahead to Tulsa, they are interesting team. Very balanced offensively. 29th ranked rushing offense (169 yds/game); 33rd ranked passing offense (228 yds/game); 21st in total offense; 32nd in scoring offense. Defensively, they are OK against the run and above-average against the pass. Tulsa doesn't get a lot of big plays on defense: not a lot of sacks or tackles for loss, not a lot of turnovers.

On the inury front, Haywood is questionable; Bonds is questionable; Sanders is questionable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am tired of the excuses that Phil Bennett puts out there after every loss. Enough. He is going to be a defensive coordinator at a BCS conference school next year, and if there is a God, his offensive coordinator (??) will be coaching a middle school team somewhere outside of Texas. Good riddance. Given Orsini's recent hires (basketball coach and assistant ADs), I am excited to see who our next coach will be.

Anonymous said...

When is it okay to get excited about our basketball team? Is okay now, after they are 2-0? Or do I need to wait until they beat an ACC team like Florida State to go 3-0?