Friday, May 05, 2006

Potpourri

Random NFL Draft thought:

I grew up in Fort Worth, which for those SMU fans that did not know, is that town you get barbecue in when you go to the TCU game. As such, I root for the Cowboys, I root for the Mavericks, I root for the Stars and I quasi-root for the Rangers.

So pardon my random Cowboy comment. I am still puzzled by the second round pick of Anthony Fasano. The word out of Valley Ranch is that this is an attempt to go to a two tight end set. See here. It makes me wonder how this is related. Here is a HS coach that is said to run the most prolific offense in the high school ranks nationally. Interestingly, he was interviewed to coach tight ends for the Dallas Cowboys. Stranger still, Dodge's spread offense doesn't use a tight end.

Anyway, just thought I would blog that note.

As for Mustangs going to the NFL, no SMU players were drafted. That should not come as a surprise. However, several were invited to mini-camps. Read all about it here. I would like to think one of these guys makes it in the league for a year or two. If I were a betting man (and I am), that would be Alvin Nnabuife.

Much has been made of Doherty "mending fences." (I can't link to it because I can't get the DMN website to work. Why? I have no idea.) No disrespect to Calvin Watkins, but you could predict this article was going to come out the day after Tubbs was let go. Anyway, Doherty is doing what he needs to do, which is something that we all knew (or should have known) he was going to do. Is there more to do? Sure. Did they erect a wall south of the Trinity to keep Doherty out? No. Are they going to be doing Doherty any favors any time soon? Probably not. I will say this, if you read the message boards of Texas Roundball, throughout this whole affair, for every anti-SMU comment there is, there is an equal number of posts critical of Tubbs.

Doherty's lead assistant is now the head man at FAU, which means Doherty has two positions open on his staff (I think). Whether that is for an Assistant Coach and a Director of Basketball Operations or for two Assistant Coaches, I donĂ‚’t know. Logic would say that one would be a "local" or "Texas" hire. That coach could come from anywhere, another Division I school, a lower division college or junior college, a high school or even the AAU ranks. If I hear anything, I will pass it on. Some guy did tell me he thought Doherty would hire the HC from Abilene Christian (Division II), but I don't know if there is any truth to that. The other assistant will likely be a former player or cohort of Doherty-somebody from Kansas or UNC or Notre Dame.

In the future, all discussions of Jimmy Tubbs will be greeted with the following:



We all need one of these for the Boulevard:







I can't decide. Do I want San Antonio to win tonight, travel home and have to play the Mavs 36 hours later at noon on Sunday or do I want the Kings to force a game 7 and possibly win the series giving the Mavs home court until the NBA Finals?

No comments: