Thursday, December 21, 2006

SMU @ TCU



It's D'oh Time!

Coaches share Court Again as SMU Plays TCU

Shows you what I know. I was completely oblivious to the fact that both TCU's Daughetery and SMU's Doherty were assistants under Roy Williams at Kansas at the same time. I mean, I knew TCU got Daugherty from Kansas and I knew Doherty had been an assistant at Kansas before getting the Notre Dame head coaching job, I just never put the two together. I guess it isn't surprising to me that this is the "story" leading up to the game.

To me, the real story is the slide TCU basketball has been on the past few seasons, despite landing a premier assistant and building a nice practice barn, err, facility. Compare that to SMU, which is also building a practice facility and has hired a new coach that has reinvigorated the program. A friend of mine that went to TCU was lamenting the complete lack of interest in the TCU basketball program these days. Asked if he was going tonight, he said he had absolutely no interest.

Best thing in the Star Telegram is a chart listing the highlights for both coaches. Among the list, "Notable award: Doherty: Associated Press National Coach of the Year in 2001; Daugherty: CollegeInsider.com's Best-Dressed Coach in 2004." Well, there you have it.

Wow, two basketball posts in two days. I may have to change the name of the blog.

No comments: