Monday, September 11, 2006

Cowlishaw Mention

From the Cowboys Blog, a comment by Tim Cowlishaw:

Another 9/11 memory

While sitting here in the Jacksonville Airport (don't ask), thought I might share what could be viewed as a little 9/11 humor from five years ago.

The day before, I went to the SMU press luncheon, which is an odd place for me to go. Told coach Mike Cavan I was going to write a column saying he would probably be fired if he didn't win four or five games (can't recall) and that he probably should be fired.
We actually had a nice talk about it, and he talked about some of the problems SMU faced (and clearly continues to face).

The column ran in the 9-11 paper. Needless to say, it had little impact, nor should it have.

But I got an e-mail around 5 p.m. from someone really laying it on Cavan, saying I had been too easy on him.
I responded that perhaps the e-mailer should turn on a television and consider that there's something more important than the SMU head coaching position that needed to be thought about right now.

... Also remember going over to Reunion and giving blood ... just the surreal atmosphere of all those people sitting quietly in the Reunion stands, not really knowing what to say or do. Polar opposite of some of the wild Stars playoff games that had taken place there not long before.

No comments: